Skip to main content

From Chris

On Friday I, Chris, was riding on a Jeepney near our home and saw a woman with her baby. Dark-skinned with curly hair, she stood out as one of the Ati people. The Ati’s are a nomadic people that come into the city on occasion to look for work or beg. According to some of our friends here, the Ati people are even more discriminated against than the “normal” street beggars, so I knew as I looked at her that her life was not an easy one. As the jeepney drove past her, I felt a profound sadness, not totally for her though; more so for me, because I realized as the jeepney rolled along that I would go on with my day and probably not even remember her. And so I did.

Thankfully though, I was forced to go in the same direction later that same day and when I did, I remembered her, but she was gone. In her place, I saw 3 Ati children and I figured they were probably part of the same family. This time I was determined not to just go about my day and forget them. The jeepney moved on, but my thoughts did not.

When I returned home from my errand, I told Dave and the kids about the family that I had seen. Faith and I decided to gather some food and toys and take it to the place where I had seen them. We found the family and were able to give them something, but it seemed like so little afterwards. Now all we can do is pray--which is why I think we crossed paths, why my heart was stirred, why I remembered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Lives Who Will Change Nations

You may recall we have been directing missionary internships for 15 years. We recently completed the first ever Go To Nations (GTN) Timothy Internship Program in the United States (Jacksonville, FL). Five new missionaries were equipped and empowered, they have been filled up and are ready to be sent out!

Generations

Send More Workers, Lord! Go To Nations has a proven equipping track that has been empowering new missionaries to go to the nations (see what I did there?) since the 1980's. Dave and I have been a part of serving with the Equipping Division for the past 15 years. 

Balaan Bukid, Guimaras

This being Maundy Thursday we decided to join the pilgrims here in Iloilo and visit the Balaan Bukid on the nearby island of Guimaras. The hike details the stations of the cross, with the culmination of large cross on the highest point on the island. Afterwards we swam at the nearby Alubihod Beach. It was a perfect day to hike to the cross and then also to enjoy some sun and surf.