Skip to main content

This P.S. Changed My Life.


As I type these lines I am sitting at a coffee shop window with a view of my alma mater Oral Roberts University.  Seeing ORU for the first time in almost fifteen years puts me in a reflective mood. Read on . . .

Camp Sonshine has changed my life. I met my wife there, I did my first children's ministry there. Chris and I still work there (at Camp Sonshine Philippines), and so do our children.

I almost did not go.

In the Summer of 1991 I was planning to go on a missions trip to France.  ORU Summer Missions organizes trips each year, and I was on the France team. I spent the entire year raising funds, meeting with my team members, and learning French (actually took two semesters).

But I did not make it to France.

I was not able to raise the funds. Eventually I got THE LETTER from the Summer Missions department. I got it in early April. You know the letter, "The Hook"--basically telling me "since you did not raise enough funds for this trip, you will not be going to France with the rest of your team."

I read those lines and was very disappointed, but I sort of already saw this coming, because I got such a paltry response from my fund raising efforts.

"The Hook" letter concluded with this post script:

"P.S. There is a ministry in Silver Spring, Maryland called Camp Sonshine run by Oral Roberts University alumni, David Black. They are looking for Summer staff to work at their camp. You can contact them at 301-989-CAMP."

Well since my summer was suddenly wide open, I called them, and the rest is history. That little P.S. changed my life dramatically, it was instrumental in ordering my steps, and was a major force directing me to were I am today.

I can only imagine how different my life would have been if I had actually raised the funds and gone to France. I can only imagine how different my life would have been if "the hook" letter didn't have that postscript about Camp Sonshine.

Christ does not deal in "I wonders" or "imagine ifs." He deals in purpose and destiny. France was not my destiny. I still have yet to travel to Europe. Camp Sonshine was (and still is) my destiny. I know that right now I am living my purpose. I am fulfilling my destiny.

"The steps of a man are established by the LORD, And He delights in his way."
Psalm 37:23 NASB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Lives Who Will Change Nations

You may recall we have been directing missionary internships for 15 years. We recently completed the first ever Go To Nations (GTN) Timothy Internship Program in the United States (Jacksonville, FL). Five new missionaries were equipped and empowered, they have been filled up and are ready to be sent out!

Generations

Send More Workers, Lord! Go To Nations has a proven equipping track that has been empowering new missionaries to go to the nations (see what I did there?) since the 1980's. Dave and I have been a part of serving with the Equipping Division for the past 15 years. 

Balaan Bukid, Guimaras

This being Maundy Thursday we decided to join the pilgrims here in Iloilo and visit the Balaan Bukid on the nearby island of Guimaras. The hike details the stations of the cross, with the culmination of large cross on the highest point on the island. Afterwards we swam at the nearby Alubihod Beach. It was a perfect day to hike to the cross and then also to enjoy some sun and surf.