Skip to main content

From Chris, . . . going back to Egypt

Dave and I see miracles often--lives being radically changed, broken families coming together; but sometimes we see lives being broken with pain. We usually share about the positive and encouraging stories, preferring to focus on the blessings and the amazing ways that God is moving here in Asia. Sometimes there are pains that touch so deeply, we can’t help but reflect upon them.

Two of the street kids that we work with recently decided to “go back to Egypt.” They were given a place to live, food everyday, discipleship, education, love, and a place to be at peace. They were given abundance, but they were also given boundaries for their protection. They had come from a dark place of sin, pain, hunger, homelessness, anger and rejection; but it was a place with no rules, seemingly free. We have all known that place--sometimes we frequent it still.

For these boys the temptation for “freedom” was too great, the pain was familiar and so welcome; the abundance and acceptance too good to be true. So when the Dark called out to them again, they went. It’s still difficult for me to grasp why they would willingly walk back into the hell from which they had come. Why would anyone want to go back to the Dark after experiencing such goodness? But, we do it. We reject the boundaries, because we want “freedom,” but we don’t realize, and these boys didn’t realize, that when we reject the boundaries, we are left in a scary place with no protection.

We will continue to pray for them, to love them and to accept them with open arms, but we cannot make them return. We pray that their eyes will be opened so that they can see that God is working for their good, because they have been called to His purposes. Romans 8:28

Comments

  1. Hello! This is Ashley from ForMissionaryMoms.com. I just wanted to invite you to stop by and visit as things are getting up and running after quiet summer. There are some exciting changes coming up in order to hopefully make this site an even greater resource for moms raising their children and serving in ministry overseas. Just wanted to invite you to join us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Trinity Fitness is in Honduras! Our Honduras mission trip team. Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary   St. Franci...

The First Day of the Rest of Her Life

After seven nights in NICU, Gabriella is finally with us. Today is the first day of the rest of her life. To all who held us so tightly in prayer during this very difficult time, we want to express our extreme gratitude and appreciation. Thank you for standing with us in prayer, seeking God for health and healing for our newest child. Your prayers are powerful and effective, so don't stop. If you happen to be in the Maryland area, please feel free to contact us if you want to come see the newest missionary in the family.

There are times . . .

when I really miss being in the States. Right now in Maryland the weather is getting very cold, and there might be snow in the forecast. I miss the smells of winter and the cool crisp air. I also miss the first world comforts that I have taken for granted for so many years. In that regard, I miss how most first world countries are usually much cleaner. I also miss living and working in a temperature controlled environment, where I am hardly every sticky with sweat or humidity. Also the Filipino way of doing things is different--not necessarily better or worse, just different. I guess I will go through this all throughout my missionary career. While Iloilo is my home, I still feel like a foreigner. While I love my life here, I am still a citizen of two worlds, calling two VERY different places home.