Skip to main content

Not your Father's Missions

It is amazing to see how far missions has come. This is definitely not your father's missions.

Way back in 1995 I was here in the Philippines doing a missionary internship my school Oral Roberts Unviersity. I had to make a call to the States for some school business. At that time a call to the U.S. cost about $20 for five minutes. The call was made over a trans-Pacific phone line, and you had to have an operater here in the Philippines connect you with an operator in the States before you actually got to talk to the person you wanted to call. The reception was terrible, and there was a two second lag in the connection, so I could hear my voice echo as it traveled to the other side of the world

Now just over ten years later, things have definitely changed. I have recently discovered the Gizmo Project. Using a microphone and headset I bought at a local computer store for about $5, I just made a call to the U.S. for free. I was able to do this sitting here at my desk, on my Powerbook, using my wireless Internet connection. I talked to a friend from Camp Sonshine, MD, Mike Charbonneau, for about thirty minutes. Using the Gizmo Project software, you can call toll free numbers without cost, and Camp Sonshine, MD just happens to have a toll free number. While it was not 100% clear, the connection was pretty good, and we could talk and communicate just fine. Not too bad considering I am on the other side of the world, and it was free.

Free is good.

This is definitely not your father's missions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing Lives Who Will Change Nations

You may recall we have been directing missionary internships for 15 years. We recently completed the first ever Go To Nations (GTN) Timothy Internship Program in the United States (Jacksonville, FL). Five new missionaries were equipped and empowered, they have been filled up and are ready to be sent out!

Generations

Send More Workers, Lord! Go To Nations has a proven equipping track that has been empowering new missionaries to go to the nations (see what I did there?) since the 1980's. Dave and I have been a part of serving with the Equipping Division for the past 15 years. 

Balaan Bukid, Guimaras

This being Maundy Thursday we decided to join the pilgrims here in Iloilo and visit the Balaan Bukid on the nearby island of Guimaras. The hike details the stations of the cross, with the culmination of large cross on the highest point on the island. Afterwards we swam at the nearby Alubihod Beach. It was a perfect day to hike to the cross and then also to enjoy some sun and surf.