Skip to main content

My Trip to Davao

Last week was incredible. I was in the island of Mindanao in the city of Davao. I joined a team of pastors from the United States and Calvary International missionaries to help minister at a tribal pastors conference.

In Mindanao there are thirty-four tribal groups. Twenty-five of those tribes were represented at this conference. Over 500 pastors and church leaders from these people groups attended this conference. Many of these tribes were recently considered unreached. Praise the Lord they are unreached no more.

Some of these tribal peoples have a very rough history. One pastor used to be a member of a tribe that practiced cannibalism. He became a born again Christian and stopped this brutal practice. He attended Bible school and is now pastoring a small congregation. He said he can no longer practice cannibalism because he now knows that all people are created in the image of God, and that he should love them and show them the love of Christ rather than kill and eat them. AMEN!

Comments

  1. Anonymous11:32 AM

    Dave, wow, sounds like you had a great trip. I will certainly never forget the time I spent in Mindanao. We actually talked to a high-ranking officer in the MILF, who assured us we would not be harmed during our visit.

    --df

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I know you have a big place in your heart for the Philippines. I hope someday you can return.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Trinity Fitness is in Honduras! Our Honduras mission trip team. Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary   St. Franci...

The First Day of the Rest of Her Life

After seven nights in NICU, Gabriella is finally with us. Today is the first day of the rest of her life. To all who held us so tightly in prayer during this very difficult time, we want to express our extreme gratitude and appreciation. Thank you for standing with us in prayer, seeking God for health and healing for our newest child. Your prayers are powerful and effective, so don't stop. If you happen to be in the Maryland area, please feel free to contact us if you want to come see the newest missionary in the family.

There are times . . .

when I really miss being in the States. Right now in Maryland the weather is getting very cold, and there might be snow in the forecast. I miss the smells of winter and the cool crisp air. I also miss the first world comforts that I have taken for granted for so many years. In that regard, I miss how most first world countries are usually much cleaner. I also miss living and working in a temperature controlled environment, where I am hardly every sticky with sweat or humidity. Also the Filipino way of doing things is different--not necessarily better or worse, just different. I guess I will go through this all throughout my missionary career. While Iloilo is my home, I still feel like a foreigner. While I love my life here, I am still a citizen of two worlds, calling two VERY different places home.