Skip to main content

Same, Same, but Different

This is a commonly heard tourist phrase in Thailand and throughout Southeast Asia. This certainly describes our new life in the United States. There are some things in our life and ministry that are the same as in Asia, and then there are some things that are VERY different.
Same, same . . .
  • equipping, empowering and training missionaries
  • happily married!
  • our kids are involved in athletics and arts
  • full-time missionaries with Go To Nations, our missionary family
  • traveling to lead and support our international teams
  • preaching at churches, this time without translators
  • crossfit
but different . . . 
  • driving on the "wrong" side of the road
  • bananas in the US are really not that yummy
  • no motorbike
  • not working in a school, we miss CRICS
  • ice from our fridge instead of the corner store
  • no more yearly visa renewal
  • can drink the water from the tap
  • closets

Every gift God freely gives us is good and perfect, streaming down from the Father of lights, who shines from the heavens with no hidden shadow or darkness and is never subject to change.
James 1:17

Same, same . . .
We are still ministering to our world-wide missionary team, most often through online meetings, as above.
Same, same . . .
We are still enjoying working out; and at our new gym, we are trainers!
but (wonderfully) different . . .
We are now closer to all our kids. Eric and his new bride Sarah spent Thanksgiving with us!
but different . . .
We found Thai food in Florida but it is not the same as what we enjoyed in Chiang Rai.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Trinity Fitness is in Honduras! Our Honduras mission trip team. Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary   St. Franci...

The First Day of the Rest of Her Life

After seven nights in NICU, Gabriella is finally with us. Today is the first day of the rest of her life. To all who held us so tightly in prayer during this very difficult time, we want to express our extreme gratitude and appreciation. Thank you for standing with us in prayer, seeking God for health and healing for our newest child. Your prayers are powerful and effective, so don't stop. If you happen to be in the Maryland area, please feel free to contact us if you want to come see the newest missionary in the family.

There are times . . .

when I really miss being in the States. Right now in Maryland the weather is getting very cold, and there might be snow in the forecast. I miss the smells of winter and the cool crisp air. I also miss the first world comforts that I have taken for granted for so many years. In that regard, I miss how most first world countries are usually much cleaner. I also miss living and working in a temperature controlled environment, where I am hardly every sticky with sweat or humidity. Also the Filipino way of doing things is different--not necessarily better or worse, just different. I guess I will go through this all throughout my missionary career. While Iloilo is my home, I still feel like a foreigner. While I love my life here, I am still a citizen of two worlds, calling two VERY different places home.