Skip to main content

Day One In-Country

The first day in this country that I cannot name. I am in one of the largest cities in this place. So many cities in this part of the world I can only describe using superlatives. This place is so this . . . or there are so many . . . It is on of the most unique cities I have ever visited in the world. I have read about this place for many years, I am now here seeing this place with my own eyes.

I found a free wireless network in a coffee shop. Their connection is very fast, and they are just two blocks from my hotel. Needless to say I will be visiting here quite often over the next week.

Met with our contacts here, to organize the week's schedule. I will be teaching several leaders of their work here. I need to meet my driver in a different place each morning. Fortunately, since I have dark hair and brown skin, I do not have to wear a disguise when I travel to the teaching place. Other Westerners who come to teach must sear sunglasses, long sleeves, and wear a big hat. If those who are watching see a white Westerner going to places off the beaten path, they will wonder and start to question and harass. I blend in very well. These underground church leaders are hard core and on the front lines. Some of them have been to prison, and some are being harassed by the authorities on a daily basis. These men need your prayers. If I get compromised, I get kicked out of the country, if they get compromised, they are beaten and put in jail. Their faith is an example to me.

I am so blessed to be here. This is an incredible opportunity, a great adventure. This is my life. I may be just an ordinary man, but I feel the Lord is making my days extraordinary.

PRAY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Trinity Fitness is in Honduras! Our Honduras mission trip team. Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary   St. Franci...

The First Day of the Rest of Her Life

After seven nights in NICU, Gabriella is finally with us. Today is the first day of the rest of her life. To all who held us so tightly in prayer during this very difficult time, we want to express our extreme gratitude and appreciation. Thank you for standing with us in prayer, seeking God for health and healing for our newest child. Your prayers are powerful and effective, so don't stop. If you happen to be in the Maryland area, please feel free to contact us if you want to come see the newest missionary in the family.

There are times . . .

when I really miss being in the States. Right now in Maryland the weather is getting very cold, and there might be snow in the forecast. I miss the smells of winter and the cool crisp air. I also miss the first world comforts that I have taken for granted for so many years. In that regard, I miss how most first world countries are usually much cleaner. I also miss living and working in a temperature controlled environment, where I am hardly every sticky with sweat or humidity. Also the Filipino way of doing things is different--not necessarily better or worse, just different. I guess I will go through this all throughout my missionary career. While Iloilo is my home, I still feel like a foreigner. While I love my life here, I am still a citizen of two worlds, calling two VERY different places home.