Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Me

In Asia it is customary for the birthday celebrant to pay for the birthday dinner, rather than the other way around in the States, where a bunch of friends and family take the birthday boy or girl out, and then chip into pay for the his or her meal. So if I am paying, and if it's for my birthday, then I will go with my favorite, pizza, and also my favorite pizza in Iloilo, Dos Marias.

Do not adjust your computer, the pizzas you see in the picture above are really that big, almost spilling over my dining room table. This is the famous thirty two inch pizza from Dos Marias, my favorite pizza pie in Iloilo, with great, thin crust, and a yummy, sweet sauce.

Chris also gave me a birthday treat of her famous carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.  We invited friends and missionary "family" over for the party. There were no leftovers of the pizza, but there was cake leftover so I could enjoy it for breakfast the next day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Trinity Fitness is in Honduras! Our Honduras mission trip team. Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary   St. Franci...

The First Day of the Rest of Her Life

After seven nights in NICU, Gabriella is finally with us. Today is the first day of the rest of her life. To all who held us so tightly in prayer during this very difficult time, we want to express our extreme gratitude and appreciation. Thank you for standing with us in prayer, seeking God for health and healing for our newest child. Your prayers are powerful and effective, so don't stop. If you happen to be in the Maryland area, please feel free to contact us if you want to come see the newest missionary in the family.

There are times . . .

when I really miss being in the States. Right now in Maryland the weather is getting very cold, and there might be snow in the forecast. I miss the smells of winter and the cool crisp air. I also miss the first world comforts that I have taken for granted for so many years. In that regard, I miss how most first world countries are usually much cleaner. I also miss living and working in a temperature controlled environment, where I am hardly every sticky with sweat or humidity. Also the Filipino way of doing things is different--not necessarily better or worse, just different. I guess I will go through this all throughout my missionary career. While Iloilo is my home, I still feel like a foreigner. While I love my life here, I am still a citizen of two worlds, calling two VERY different places home.