Skip to main content

I Feel Like a Foreigner

I have been in-country for about a week, and honestly I am experiencing some reverse culture shock. It is odd to feel like a foreigner in your home country, but that is exactly what's happening. For example the other day I went to get gas at the gas station and for a moment I froze because I didn't know what to do. Also driving is kind of weird, especially when I am used to walking or riding jeepneys or taxis (where someone else is doing the driving).

However the best part of being Stateside is reconnecting with family, friends, and loved ones. The other day Chris and I took Danny and his cousin, Marissa, to Chick-fil-A. They are so cute together--they are both three years old.

The really enjoy being together, giggling and telling jokes, and just playing and interacting.

Marissa LOVES ranch dressing (like a Texan loves ranch dressing), she dips everything in ranch.

Even grapes.

Of course, no visit at Chick-fil-A would be complete without a visit to their huge play place.

This is the best part of being in the States, being with family we miss so much. We look forward to reconnecting with many of you during our time in the U.S. I am starting to feel less and less like a foreigner, and more and more at home in my American home. Now someone just needs to turn the heat up, I am FREEZING.

Comments

  1. You're freezing? You would have *loved* it six weeks ago! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a quick furlough coming up as well. I'm hoping I don't get too cold!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Trinity Fitness is in Honduras! Our Honduras mission trip team. Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary   St. Franci...

The First Day of the Rest of Her Life

After seven nights in NICU, Gabriella is finally with us. Today is the first day of the rest of her life. To all who held us so tightly in prayer during this very difficult time, we want to express our extreme gratitude and appreciation. Thank you for standing with us in prayer, seeking God for health and healing for our newest child. Your prayers are powerful and effective, so don't stop. If you happen to be in the Maryland area, please feel free to contact us if you want to come see the newest missionary in the family.

There are times . . .

when I really miss being in the States. Right now in Maryland the weather is getting very cold, and there might be snow in the forecast. I miss the smells of winter and the cool crisp air. I also miss the first world comforts that I have taken for granted for so many years. In that regard, I miss how most first world countries are usually much cleaner. I also miss living and working in a temperature controlled environment, where I am hardly every sticky with sweat or humidity. Also the Filipino way of doing things is different--not necessarily better or worse, just different. I guess I will go through this all throughout my missionary career. While Iloilo is my home, I still feel like a foreigner. While I love my life here, I am still a citizen of two worlds, calling two VERY different places home.