Skip to main content

Day Two, In-country

I still can't believe I am doing this. Here in this country, working with these believers, I still marvel that this is my job.

Had an incredible first day of teaching. Saw some familiar faces, and met thirty-five new students. Taught for about five hours. Of course, the day was broken by the traditional lunch and the after lunch nap.

Food here is so very healthy, and very good. Not like any other Asian food I have eaten, spicy, not spicy hot, just spicy as in full of different flavors. I usually eat the vegetarian option because it is usually the tastiest.

I am still so humbled by these believers. I cannot imaging the cost they must pay just to follow Christ. It is an honor to be among them, and I am humbled that I could even teach them anything, when they are such an example to me.

I get to do this for three more days, and I am so glad. Of course, I can't wait to see my family again. I have access to wireless Internet at a coffee shop near my hotel, so at least I can chat online with Chris each night.

Now to find some dinner . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary

Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary Trinity Fitness is in Honduras! Our Honduras mission trip team. Preach the Gospel, Use Soccer if Necessary   St. Franci...

The First Day of the Rest of Her Life

After seven nights in NICU, Gabriella is finally with us. Today is the first day of the rest of her life. To all who held us so tightly in prayer during this very difficult time, we want to express our extreme gratitude and appreciation. Thank you for standing with us in prayer, seeking God for health and healing for our newest child. Your prayers are powerful and effective, so don't stop. If you happen to be in the Maryland area, please feel free to contact us if you want to come see the newest missionary in the family.

There are times . . .

when I really miss being in the States. Right now in Maryland the weather is getting very cold, and there might be snow in the forecast. I miss the smells of winter and the cool crisp air. I also miss the first world comforts that I have taken for granted for so many years. In that regard, I miss how most first world countries are usually much cleaner. I also miss living and working in a temperature controlled environment, where I am hardly every sticky with sweat or humidity. Also the Filipino way of doing things is different--not necessarily better or worse, just different. I guess I will go through this all throughout my missionary career. While Iloilo is my home, I still feel like a foreigner. While I love my life here, I am still a citizen of two worlds, calling two VERY different places home.